Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Simple Pleasures

Go ahead, chat with me about how the West End and Broadway are perpetuating this dull and complacent bourgeois theatre. How we should want and expect more from our art. How we should consider it a reflection of ourselves and our culture, and be embarrassed. Tell me that 'they' are keeping us fed on a diet of the pedestrian and outdated. I will always agree.

That said, I will willingly admit that I spent my evening with grey-haired upper class (these are the type who still consider theatre a night out, and get all dressed up for it) at the Theatre Royal Haymarket, where I paid a ridiculous amount for a seat that was one row away from being the very last one in the balcony, miles and miles away from the stage. "I hope she can project", said a flamboyant man beside me.

Seeing Judi Dench in Noel Coward's 'Hay Fever' was something I couldn't help but like. I don't want to feel like I'm betraying the progressive side of my work for enjoying it. And while the production is of incredible quality in both acting and scenography, Judi is the star of the show. With so much expectation in my head, people are usually bound to fail, but no. I hate writing glowing reviews like this, but she is the consummate actress, and it shows in every moment she's onstage.

Rumor has it she came to CSSD as a designer, and left an actress.

'Hay Fever' was a diversion, a jolly night out with dance hall music and witty one liners. And Judi did a little 'winsome' dance across the stage that pretty much justified my ticket price in and of itself.

It was--gasp--entertainment.

2 Comments:

Blogger Justin Kownacki said...

I thought artists weren't allowed to create or enjoy entertainment... Does this make you counter-culture?

10:05 PM  
Blogger DL said...

Once in a while there is a performer who will make you like the work they are in. And if you had asked me who in the world can do that, Judi would have been at the top of my list.
Don't be ashamed.
I am glad you had that experience. I wish we could have that experience more often. A performer making a story come alive , no matter what the story is ? Well, that's our work isn't it ?
Easier said than done though.

12:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google